December 05, 2005

Road blues ..

Taking a cheap coach service from London to Manchester proved a little more trouble than the money saved this weekend. Fed up of paying the seemingly extortionate rail fares being charged to travel between London and Manchester, over the past few months I have opted to use the coach services when going to visit my parents. Overall I have to say that the experience has been fairly positive, and I have been able to make good use of the long journey time for catching up with reading, sleep and other low priority activities :-)

However, this past weekend I decided to downgrade the cost a little further and chose to travel by the 'no-frills' coach service - Megabus. The cost was less than 1/3rd of the normal coach service, but came at the cost of arriving at my destination over an hour later than the scheduled time. Also, because the service is run to a tight budget, pick up and drop-off is done just outside the coach stations - so it involves standing around in the cold waiting for your bus to arrive. I shouldn't complain too much though - 'You pays your money and takes your chances'

No comments: