October 01, 2004

Debating for votes ...

So I started out writing this long rant about the US presidential debate and how Bush seems to have got off lightly for making a pig's ear of the Iraqi situation, but then decided it was just too rambling and I don't have time to make it make sense :-) The short version is that Kerry made some good points about Bush's misjudgement (how hard is it not to!) but reading the opinion pieces about the debate the consensus seems to be that it was a draw. My personal views about the war are rather mixed - the reasons for going to war will never be truly known, and the only +ve result seems to be that Saddam Hussein is no longer in power - but to me it seems to be a bit of a toss-up if this outweighs all the -ves that the Iraqi people (and others) are going through at them moment. Hopefully I am wrong, and the violence won't continue at the current rate for much longer - but who knows!

Apparently a recording of the debate is going to be shown on my university campus later today, but I don't think I will have time to attend. Will have to make do with reading the transcript on my way home instead :-)

No comments: