October 03, 2004

A Geek Index ?!? ..

I was just talking to a friend and by some weird twist (don't ask me how), we ended up comparing our relative geekiness - I am a geek in denial, whereas she is a geek and proud of it :-) ... I am in denial because people keep telling me how I have wide interests and generally 'a life', which I somehow think disqualifies you from being a geek. Don't get me wrong - I think it is perfectly cool to be a geek - I do have many geek qualities that I would never want to change! But anyway, this rather odd conversation led us to question, what are the characteristics of a geek? Some suggestions for traits included "Thickness of specs", "1/number of places your laptop doesn't go with you", etc. So how about taking these traits and coming up with a Geek Index - that would answer that all important question, who is the biggest geek?!? :-)

A quick Google showed that most web content on geekiness relates to IT stuff (how many computers you have, what OS you use etc etc), but obviously we can all think of geeks who come from other disciplines - my friend is not in IT, she is a Doc - so, in fact probably every field of human activity can boast at least one person who is considered a geek! And yet there does not seem to be a geek index! Obviously something the world is crying out for ... so over the coming weeks we are going to come up with one ... just watch this space :-)

No comments: