August 13, 2005

Trouble in paradise ...

Arrived back in Sri Lanka a few days ago - which is a really welcome break after the past 3 months of hectic activity. Now that the thesis is written, this is agreat weight off my mind. Of course the other happy news, and event I am looking foward to is that Uthpala and I are getting married on Wednesday! :-)

However, this morning there is some sad news from Sri Lanka - the foreign affairs minister, Mr. Lakshman Kadarigama was assasinated last night. This is a truly sad event since with his loss we have lost one of our most intelligent, articulate and able voices on the world stage. Kadarigama was one of the few Sri Lankan politicians who had real integrity and credibility both amongst Sri Lankans and the international community and I am sure his loss will be sorely felt. I can only hope that those responsible for this cowardly act will be brought to justice as soon as possible.

No comments: