July 07, 2005

A sad day ...


Underground, Overground
Originally uploaded by akbandara.
It's been a sombre day in London after 4 bombs exploded across the city. I was late getting out of the house this morning and by the time I got to the local tube station, the network had already shutdown. It was only when I got home and switched the TV back on did I discover the extent of the problem.

The morning was spent catching up with friends and family and making sure everyone I knew was OK, and letting others know that I was safe at home. I know I am one of the lucky ones - first because I wasn't involved in any of the blasts, and also because I wasn't stuck at work faced with the prospect of a difficult commute home.

I notice that the tube network is slowly coming back online, so I should be OK for getting into work in the morning. It is impressive how London is living up to its reputation of stoicism in the face of adversity. Hats of to all those people in the emergency services and the transport services for stepping up and making it count when it really matters.

For all those affected by this terrible atrocity, be it directly or through friends and family - my sincere condolences and hope that you are able to put this behind you in time.

May everyone be well, happy and peaceful!

No comments: